ActiveSync contacts eating all my data
PJ Velzeboer
2014-08-27 20:52:42 UTC
Hi all,

I?ve got an android phone hooked up to my Kolab 3.1 server using active sync and all was working well until recently when the active sync service chewed through all my data. I?ve been able to narrow it done to the contact component, but how to use the synchrotron logs to determine which contact entry is tripping it up.

Any ideas?

Cheers PJ
dsp3
2014-08-27 21:01:37 UTC
Post by PJ Velzeboer
Hi all,
I?ve got an android phone hooked up to my Kolab 3.1 server using
active sync and all was working well until recently when the active
sync service chewed through all my data. I?ve been able to narrow it
done to the contact component, but how to use the synchrotron logs to
determine which contact entry is tripping it up.
Any ideas?
Cheers PJ
PJ,
In my experience, creating contacts on Android using activesync with
Kolab will create multiple (sometimes 100's) of the same contact in your
address book, therefore I don't create contacts in Android! Not a great
solution, but it works. I haven't got around to debugging what is
happening unfortunately.
--
http://www.dsp3.org
info at dsp3.org
GPG Key: ACF0A7E6
Torsten Grote
2014-08-28 12:01:14 UTC
I haven't got around to debugging what is happening unfortunately.
Debugging and creating an issue in bugzilla for this would be very
appreciated. Not creating contacts in Android can't be a permanent solution.

Kind Regards,
Torsten
--
Torsten Grote
Kolab.org Community Manager

e: torsten at kolab.org
w: https://Kolab.org

pgp: 0x2175A534A4F2EFA3
dsp3
2014-08-28 19:23:58 UTC
Post by Torsten Grote
I haven't got around to debugging what is happening unfortunately.
Debugging and creating an issue in bugzilla for this would be very
appreciated. Not creating contacts in Android can't be a permanent solution.
I will look into this as has caused some serious issues.
--
http://www.dsp3.org
info at dsp3.org
GPG Key: ACF0A7E6
PJ Velzeboer
2014-08-29 21:06:44 UTC
So it appears that the combination of the android phone and large contact pictures send it into a loop.

Anyone know if there is a limit defined for contact pictures?

Cheers PJ
info at dsp3.org
GPG Key: ACF0A7E6
Aleksander Machniak
2014-08-30 06:53:18 UTC
Post by PJ Velzeboer
So it appears that the combination of the android phone and large contact pictures send it into a loop.
Anyone know if there is a limit defined for contact pictures?
ActiveSync limits photo size to 48KB (of base64 encoded string) and
syncroton enforces this when synchronizing contacts from server to a
device. So, that shouldn't be a problem. I didn't try the opposite way,
from device to the server.

Maybe it's just memory_limit issue. Syncroton does not load contacts
list in chunks, so all contacts data is in memory. How many contacts and
how big photos exactly do you have?

Any errors in log? You can see what's sent/received in activesync, there
are debug options in config.

http://git.kolab.org/kolab-syncroton/tree/config/main.inc.php.dist
--
Aleksander Machniak
Software Developer
PGP: 19359DC1
Daniel Hoffend
2014-08-30 23:39:21 UTC
What version of kolab are you running? If you're running an older
version i've the feeling that the mysql cache layer of roundcube is
interfering with your client. Some older version had only normal text
fields as datatype and those can't hold enough data and the
serialize/base64 data store breaks. I had similar problems with CardDAV
when the cache got broken.

Can you provide details about your roundcube database?

DESCRIBE kolab_cache_contact;

If the fields data and xml are something different then LONGTEXT or
LONGBLOB please change them (for example via phpmyadin).

mysql> DESCRIBE kolab_cache_contact;
+-----------+---------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-----------+---------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| folder_id | bigint(20) unsigned | NO | PRI | NULL | |
| msguid | bigint(20) unsigned | NO | PRI | NULL | |
| uid | varchar(128) | NO | | NULL | |
| created | datetime | YES | | NULL | |
| changed | datetime | YES | | NULL | |
| data | longtext | NO | | NULL | |
<<<<<<
| xml | longblob | NO | | NULL | |
<<<<<<
| tags | varchar(255) | NO | | NULL | |
| words | text | NO | | NULL | |
| type | varchar(32) | NO | | NULL | |
| name | varchar(255) | NO | | NULL | |
| firstname | varchar(255) | NO | | NULL | |
| surname | varchar(255) | NO | | NULL | |
| email | varchar(255) | NO | | NULL | |
greetings
Daniel

info at dsp3.org
GPG Key: ACF0A7E6