Error is error log
Denis Croombs
2004-05-21 09:16:22 UTC
I am also getting these type of errors in my postfix log, when e-mail is
downloaded using fetchmail !

May 21 00:22:13 testsite <info> postfix/smtp[842]: 0072FB5C04B:
to=<greg at localhost.testsite.co.uk>, orig_to=<greg at localhost
, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Name service error for
name=localhost.testsite.co.uk type=A: Host not found)

Just a check, what "hostname" should I have in the admin server setting
page, currently I have the fully qualified domain name of the server (IE
office.testsite.co.uk) , and I also have the domain name set at
"testsite.co.uk" I have also the following in the local networks 127.0.0.0/8
172.16.1.0/24 and the real (public) ip address, are these setting correct ?

Thanks

Denis
believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner
Jon Bendtsen
2004-05-21 09:20:48 UTC
Post by Denis Croombs
I am also getting these type of errors in my postfix log, when e-mail is
downloaded using fetchmail !
to=<greg at localhost.testsite.co.uk>, orig_to=<greg at localhost
, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Name service error for
name=localhost.testsite.co.uk type=A: Host not found)
Just a check, what "hostname" should I have in the admin server setting
page, currently I have the fully qualified domain name of the server (IE
office.testsite.co.uk) , and I also have the domain name set at
"testsite.co.uk" I have also the following in the local networks 127.0.0.0/8
172.16.1.0/24 and the real (public) ip address, are these setting correct ?
no, they are not correct.

Are you sending to that localhost thing ?

JonB
Denis Croombs
2004-05-21 09:40:35 UTC
Post by Jon Bendtsen
Post by Denis Croombs
page, currently I have the fully qualified domain name of the server
(IE
office.testsite.co.uk) , and I also have the domain name set at
"testsite.co.uk" I have also the following in the local networks
127.0.0.0/8
172.16.1.0/24 and the real (public) ip address, are these setting
correct ?
no, they are not correct.
Are you sending to that localhost thing ?
If the settings are not correct what are the correct settings ?
No I am not sending to localhost, I belive fetchmail will pass to localhost
port 25 all downloaded e-mails ?

Many thanks

Denis
believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner
Jon Bendtsen
2004-05-21 09:46:32 UTC
Post by Denis Croombs
Post by Jon Bendtsen
Post by Denis Croombs
page, currently I have the fully qualified domain name of the server
(IE
office.testsite.co.uk) , and I also have the domain name set at
"testsite.co.uk" I have also the following in the local networks
127.0.0.0/8
172.16.1.0/24 and the real (public) ip address, are these setting
correct ?
no, they are not correct.
Are you sending to that localhost thing ?
If the settings are not correct what are the correct settings ?
No I am not sending to localhost, I belive fetchmail will pass to localhost
port 25 all downloaded e-mails ?
make it strip localhost

JonB
Denis Croombs
2004-05-21 09:52:27 UTC
Post by Jon Bendtsen
Post by Denis Croombs
Post by Jon Bendtsen
Post by Denis Croombs
page, currently I have the fully qualified domain name of the server
(IE
office.testsite.co.uk) , and I also have the domain name set at
"testsite.co.uk" I have also the following in the local networks
127.0.0.0/8
172.16.1.0/24 and the real (public) ip address, are these setting
correct ?
no, they are not correct.
Are you sending to that localhost thing ?
If the settings are not correct what are the correct settings ?
No I am not sending to localhost, I belive fetchmail will pass to localhost
port 25 all downloaded e-mails ?
make it strip localhost
Thanks I do not know how to do that but I will try and find out where I can
change that setting.

Regards

Denis
believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner
Denis Croombs
2004-05-21 12:22:27 UTC
Post by Jon Bendtsen
Post by Denis Croombs
Post by Jon Bendtsen
Post by Denis Croombs
page, currently I have the fully qualified domain name of the server
(IE
office.testsite.co.uk) , and I also have the domain name set at
"testsite.co.uk" I have also the following in the local networks
127.0.0.0/8
172.16.1.0/24 and the real (public) ip address, are these setting
correct ?
no, they are not correct.
Are you sending to that localhost thing ?
If the settings are not correct what are the correct settings ?
No I am not sending to localhost, I belive fetchmail will pass to localhost
port 25 all downloaded e-mails ?
make it strip localhost
I have it now downloading the mail with no errors, except the mail gets lost
!

Part of the fetchmail download data is below:-
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<denis at just-servers.co.uk> BODY=7BIT SIZE=1566
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Ok
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<denis at testsite.co.uk>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
#fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Ok: queued as 93B31CC59E
not flushed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: 6.2.0 querying newesolutions (protocol POP3) at Fri 21 May 2004
13:15:55 BST: poll completed
fetchmail: SMTP> QUIT
fetchmail: SMTP< 221 Bye
fetchmail: normal termination, status 0

have no postfix errors but also no entry at all saying what the hell it has
done with the mail

Any further clues ?

Regards

Denis
believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner
Denis Croombs
2004-05-21 12:37:22 UTC
Thanks for that.

I have now tried that and am now getting the following error !

May 21 13:32:56 testsite <info> postfix/lmtp[23299]: 3147EB5C04B: to=<denis at office.testsite.co.uk>, relay=/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp], delay=0, status=bounced (host /kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp] said: 550-Mailbox unknown. Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Any clue as to why ?

Thanks

Denis

I had this problem and overcame it!

If you're trying to receive mail like someone at testsite.co.uk then you need to set your Email domain to testsite.co.uk

If you're trying to receive mail like someone at localhost.co.uk then you need to set your Email domain to loclahost.testsite.co.uk

If you want to receive mail for both those addresses, there are two ways of achieving this, but neither can be implemented using the Web Front-End:

Method 1: Edit the main.cf.template file in (mines located in /etc/kolab yours may differ as I use the MandrakeLinux version) and add to the end of the line:
mydestination = @@@postfix-mydestination@@@
any host name you want postfix to respond to eg:
mydestination = @@@postfix-mydestination@@@ respond.to.this.hostname respond.to.another.hostname

As far as I can see the web front-end does not let you do this. It would be good to know if there are any plans to do so?
believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Denis Croombs
Thanks for that.
?
I have now tried that and am now getting the following error !
?
to=<denis at office.testsite.co.uk>,
relay=/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp], delay=0,
status=bounced (host /kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp]
said: 550-Mailbox unknown.? Either there is no mailbox associated with
this 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1
User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))
the user is not created?

JonB
Denis Croombs
2004-05-21 12:49:18 UTC
Post by Jon Bendtsen
Post by Denis Croombs
I have now tried that and am now getting the following error !
to=<denis at office.testsite.co.uk>,
relay=/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp], delay=0,
status=bounced (host /kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp]
said: 550-Mailbox unknown. Either there is no mailbox associated with
this 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1
User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))
the user is not created?
No the user the created !

[root at rdcredits root]# ls -l
/kolab/var/imapd/spool/domain/testsite.co.uk/user/denis
total 12
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r 4 May 20 14:33 cyrus.cache
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r 167 May 20 14:33 cyrus.header
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r 76 May 21 13:44 cyrus.index
[root at rdcredits root]#

(sorry to be a pain about this but it is driving me mad and I have been at
it for 3 days now (am going brain dead ! )

Thanks

Denis
believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner
Stephen Hind
2004-05-21 13:17:48 UTC
Have a look at your main.cf and main.cf.template files to ensure that on the
mydestination line contains office.testsite.co.uk and I presume you have an
account or an alias called denis.

The second way you can capture these, which I forgot to put in my previous
mail, is to add some entries to your virtual.template file (again mine is
located in /etc/kolab)

In my file I have added the following lines:
s.hind at rwp.co.uk stephenh
s.hind at learning-partners.org.uk stephenh

This means any mail to the above addresses will get transferred to the Kolab
IMAP server and deposited in my stephenh account, rather than relayed to the
internet or bounced.

Hope this helps

Stephen Hind

IMPORTANT

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and
opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of RWP Training Limited. If
you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering
the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please immediately notify admin at rwp.co.uk

In accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practices)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000, RWP Training Limited
reserves the right to monitor and record e-mail messages sent to and from
this address for the purposes of investigating or detecting any unauthorised
use of its system and ensuring its effective operation.

[...]

dangerous content by
Marvin and is believed to be clean.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thanks

The user exists.
I have added the alias and not no error, but no mail in the postfix log either, where is the e-mail stored ?

***** Main.cf ******

# local host
myhostname = office.testsite.co.uk
mydomain = testsite.co.uk
myorigin = $myhostname
#
masquerade_domains = $mydomain
masquerade_exceptions = root

# smtp daemon
#smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
#inet_interfaces = 127.0.0.1

# relaying
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 172.16.1.0/24, 172.16.0.0/24
mydestination = $mydomain localhost.$mydomain office.$mydomain

***************main.cf.template**********************

# relaying
mynetworks = @@@postfix-mynetworks@@@
mydestination = @@@postfix-mydestination@@@ localhost.$mydomain office.$mydomain
relay_domains =

Thanks

Denis

Have a look at your main.cf and main.cf.template files to ensure that on the mydestination line contains office.testsite.co.uk and I presume you have an account or an alias called denis.

The second way you can capture these, which I forgot to put in my previous mail, is to add some entries to your virtual.template file (again mine is located in /etc/kolab)

In my file I have added the following lines:
s.hind at rwp.co.uk stephenh
s.hind at learning-partners.org.uk stephenh

This means any mail to the above addresses will get transferred to the Kolab IMAP server and deposited in my stephenh account, rather than relayed to the internet or bounced.

Hope this helps

Stephen Hind

IMPORTANT

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of RWP Training Limited. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify admin at rwp.co.uk

In accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practices) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000, RWP Training Limited reserves the right to monitor and record e-mail messages sent to and from this address for the purposes of investigating or detecting any unauthorised use of its system and ensuring its effective operation.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On my MandrakeLinux system (your system may differ) the mails are stored in
/var/spool/imap/user/username so your should be /var/spool/imap/user/denis

Each mail has a file, the file name being a number followed by a dot, eg 1.
2. 3. and so on. These files are plain text so if you run the command
less /var/spool/imap/user/username/1.
less will display the text of the mail, complete with headers.

What you should see in the log is "status=sent" instead of "status=bounced"
so I imagine there must be something in the log to say what's happened. On
MandrakeLinux 10.0 Official the logs seem to be combined. For me to see
what's happening to the mail, where it's getting sent to/bounced etc. I use
the following command (the location of your logs may differ):

tail -f /var/log/mail/info

That command is what I found the most useful.

Hope this helps

Stephen

Thanks for that.

Yes, I have the location /kolab/var/imapd/spool/domain/testsite.co.uk/user/denis/ and that is where I was expecting the emails to be stored.

I have a log of /kolab/var/postfix/log/postfix.log

Could the error be because I am running the fetchmail as user "root" and not "kolab" ?

When the user exists because the user has outlook data stored in it via the "Toltec connector" and below is the users directory.

[root at rdcredits root]# ls -l /kolab/var/imapd/spool/domain/testsite.co.uk/user/nic
total 72
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:17 Calendar
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 8192 May 21 15:17 Contacts
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r 4 May 20 14:34 cyrus.cache
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r 165 May 20 14:34 cyrus.header
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r 76 May 21 15:21 cyrus.index
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:10 Deleted Items
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:17 Drafts
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:17 Inbox
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 14:42 Inbox___3G
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:18 Inbox___Orange
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:18 Inbox___ZDNet
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:17 Journal
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:17 Notes
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:17 Sent Items
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 14:06 Tasks
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:17 test
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 May 21 15:17 test___Notes
[root at rdcredits root]#

Thanks

Denis

[...]

I don't think it's a fetchmail problem, I run fetchmail as root without any
trouble. The only time this happened to me is if I sent to an account that
does not exist, which can't be your problem as you account exists, or f the
domain was not included in the mydestination line, but from your previous
email I can see that it is.

Just to be "devil's advocate" try changing the mydestination line in your
main.cf.template file to:
mydestination = $mydomain localhost.testsite.co.uk office.testsite.co.uk

instead of:
mydestination = $mydomain localhost.$mydomain office.$mydomain

just to make sure it's not loosing the $mydomain variable.

Stephen
/kolab/var/imapd/spool/domain/testsite.co.uk/user/denis/ and that is where I
was expecting the emails to be stored.

I have a log of /kolab/var/postfix/log/postfix.log

Could the error be because I am running the fetchmail as user "root" and
not "kolab" ?

May 21 15:28:27 testsite <info> postfix/lmtp[32454]: 52954B5C04B:
to=<nic at localhost.testsite.co.uk>, orig_to=<nic at localhost>,
[...]

Hi Stephen

I have tried that:-

# mydestination = @@@postfix-mydestination@@@ localhost.$mydomain office.$mydomain
mydestination = $mydomain localhost.testsite.co.uk office.testsite.co.uk

Restarted kolab but I still have the same problem.

Any more clues ?

Thanks

Denis

I don't think it's a fetchmail problem, I run fetchmail as root without any trouble. The only time this happened to me is if I sent to an account that does not exist, which can't be your problem as you account exists, or f the domain was not included in the mydestination line, but from your previous email I can see that it is.

Just to be "devil's advocate" try changing the mydestination line in your main.cf.template file to:
mydestination = $mydomain localhost.testsite.co.uk office.testsite.co.uk

instead of:
mydestination = $mydomain localhost.$mydomain office.$mydomain

just to make sure it's not loosing the $mydomain variable.

Stephen
believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Have you checked that these settings have been transferred to the real
main.cf file? Mine's located in /etc/postfix

I had to do a kolab_bootstrap at one point as any change I made to the
templates did not get transferred.

WARNING a bootstrap will wipe out all your previous settings.

Stephen